Friday, March 21, 2014

Middle School Teaching Reflection

            Now that I have taught my lesson, I have some views on my strengths and weaknesses in the classroom. I had taken charge of this seventh grade class in weeks prior guiding them through a close reading of a short story. We identified plot elements and vocabulary located inside the story. This time was very different. My lesson was very student oriented and student led, so while I was in charge, the students were the ones really dictating what was being done in their own work. To be honest, the uncertainty of a student led class is a little nerve wracking, and I prefer leading class as the teacher. However, this is probably because this was not “my” classroom and I am not that familiar with students.
            A lot of my lesson went as I expected it to. I expected certain students to participate more than others and I expected to keep student focus and interest by making many transitions. I was also able to get student laughs at the silly jokes I made. I try to make the classroom a place to smile because it makes learning a little bit more fun. I also expected students to give me a good recap of learning at the end of the lesson, which they did splendidly. They defined debate and explained the correlation between debate and an argument essay.
            When it comes to surprises, I had a big one that threw me a little off balance. There are some students in the class that normally are in another room receiving additional help that were a part of class that day. I am not used to seeing them and wasn’t sure of my point of entry with them. They came in half way through the first part of my lesson, but I was quickly able to get them up to speed, and on the second day of my lesson, was able to give them a little extra help on the part of the debate that they were assigned.

            What I learned about myself was that even when I am nervous and shaking on the inside I can maintain control of a classroom and hide any sign of uncertainty or nervousness. I also learned that one on one student engagement is incredibly important to understanding. While I am still sure that Middle School is not the place I want to teach, I had a fun time. I do like that age, just more as a mentor or tutor rather than classroom teacher. I am happy I got to experience this though.

3 comments:

  1. I continue to find it interesting that you like middle school students, but not teaching them. The way you wrote about it in this reflection has helped me to understand why a bit more clearly. I'm glad you enjoyed your experience and feel certain that we'll have just as much fun in high school! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that the idea of your student led lesson made you nervous and uncertain (I was as well). As future teachers it is important that we embrace uncertainty and nervousness and use it as fuel for our teaching fires. Even with a wrench thrown midway into your lesson you still conquered it. Be proud! I'm so happy that your lesson was successful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Amanda--nervousness and uncertainty are going to be part of your experience for many years to come, as long as you keep wanting to learn and grow. I'm glad you're comfortable with that, as you'll never be bored :)

    ReplyDelete